What Is Meditation?
Meditation is a mind and body practice where individuals use techniques to achieve a mentally and emotionally clear mind. The history of meditation dates back as far as 3000 BCE from a Hindu tradition in India. More recently, the Harvard Medical School has conducted scientific studies of meditation’s benefits and its healing impact. Meditation is known for creating physical and mental relaxation, improving psychological balance, helping cope with illness, and even enhancing overall health and well-being.
How Can Meditation Benefit You?
Working meditation into your daily routine can significantly change your physical and mental state. Studies have shown that there is a positive correlation between meditating frequency and Mindfulness. Therefore, meditating for just 10 minutes a day can increase your enjoyment of life and decrease the harmful clutter in your head. However, meditating for longer durations is recommended. These daily practices will likely prevent stress from getting into your system and simultaneously helps release already accumulated stress. Furthermore, you will have better decision-making ability and anger control with this new relaxed and in control mindset.
What Different Ways Can I Meditate?
There are a wide variety of methods used to achieve mental and emotional calmness. However, all techniques fall into two categories; concentrative meditation and contemplative meditation.
You perform Concentrative meditating by focusing your mind and body on a single physical device. Concentrative meditating will result in your body and mind aligning on a particular point and create a feeling of inner peace.
- Focus only on your breathing and remain still while you ease into relaxation
- Partake in yoga or a relaxing walk through nature
- Repeat simple sounds to clear the mind, such as “Om.”
- Watch calming videos or listen to relaxing music (Ex. Boho Beautiful Yoga)
- Progressively tighten and release each body part as you imagine the stress leaving your body.
You perform contemplative meditating by relaxing the mind and listing to the small voice, inner wisdom, or the divine. Contemplative meditating will allow the brain to roam freely and discover peaceful truths.
- Let your thoughts wander and observe as they appear and disappear without interrupting.
- Connect and speak with your God or the Universe on a spiritual level.